1/07/2009

homestudy

We had our homestudy on Monday. This is a big step in the adoption process. A social worker came to our house for three and a half hours. We sat in the clean living room with water, coffee and a muffin each. It was like a combination of job interview and counseling session. We were asked about our strengths and weaknesses as individuals and as a couple. Other questions were, "How do you cope with stress?" "How do you discipline your kids and why?" "How will you deal with racism that may be directed at your children?" Heavy duty stuff.

At the end of the homestudy, the social worker toured the house. Each room was tidy for this reason. Usually when I host something, the main sections of the house look great but one or two of the bedrooms take the brunt of the junk. Preparing for someone to see the every room is a challenge for a person like me. I am slowly working toward a place for every thing and every thing has a place. (We sang a horrible song with those words when I was growing up.... maybe that's why I have a problem with this concept?)

Now that the homestudy is behind us, I'm back on the paperwork fast track. It might sound crazy, but I'm looking forward to the just waiting part of the process. Once we finish this paperwork, the steps after that involve a lot of waiting. During the waiting I hope to read about Ethiopia and attachment, continue with freelance, and enjoy 2009!

3 comments:

Gow_spot said...

kotter- so did the homestudy go well?
do you feel good about it?
oh man.
we are praying!
i will try and call you tonight or tomorrow.... i am missing you alot right now.
sigh.
ugh.
thanks for posting.
love you

Sparkz said...

I loved the homestudy. It was a lot easier than I expeced... a lot different than I expeced too. It is so nice to get each step done to get to the waitlist! It will be soon!

Zach and Erin Kennedy said...

Woo hoo!! You will be on the wait list soon. We need to get together again soon. Hope you had a great Christmas!