2/08/2010

the long awaited rainbow cake post

I made a five layer rainbow cake for Melody's 5th birthday this year. It was my biggest cake endeavor to date. I spent 3 hours on it. This cake was my inspiration. I love this perfect photo so much that I am thinking about framing it for my house. My cake did not turn out so perfect, but it was a success, thanks to Chad's help.

Here is the finished product:


Here are five bowls stacked and ready for food coloring:


Mixing:


Baking:


Cooling:


Here is where things got tricky (and I got tired). I used 9 cups of powdered sugar for the frosting, and still ran out. I used too much between the layers and things started to lean. Chad shored things up with these skewers and we let it sit overnight.


The next morning (hours before the party) I remembered I had some heavy whipping cream in the fridge. I whipped it up and covered the cake again with more frosting goodness.


The outcome was pretty!


And this face made it all worth it. She was pretty excited for me to cut into the rainbow surprise. It was the sweetest cake I've ever tasted, with all the frosting, but I didn't make this cake for taste... it was for looks.


Here are two more fun cake ideas. I might use this one next. It looks easier. And this one could be fun for Valentines Day. While we are on the subject of edible rainbows, check out these pancakes.

8 comments:

~cjoy said...

That looks SO awesome Bek - great job!! 4 layers is hard, 5 must be a huge undertaking. And I bet it tasted heavenly to Mel. :)

Laurel said...

I planned on making the weekly pancakes tomorrow morning and will try the rainbow ones. Fun!

Kristin said...

Man, that cake was good!!!

Sheryll said...

Gorgeous! I am bookmarking this for when I make a cake for my Leah!

I love the pic you linked to...would definitely look great in a frame.

bekah said...

Hey Sheryll! Great to hear from you. Our baby boy is due in a couple of months and the name Jonah is still at the top of my list. I think it would be fun if we both ended up with a Leah and a Jonah.

Maribeth said...

Love that cake! I'm totally stealing this idea! Beautiful!

Rose said...

YUMMY! Wish I was there...

Jenny said...

Oh WOW! With 4 girls around here I think this will be a must make sometime in the future.